A veteran shall be given priority over a non-veteran for receipt of employment, training, and placement of services in job training programs if the veteran meets the program’s eligibility requirements. Please contact your Veterans Employment Representative
Success in the New Economy
Understanding the misalignment of education and our workforce needs. This is a short film about the cost of traditional college, the shortage of skilled trades workers and the wage differences of college graduates verses trades school graduates.
Watch Video: Click Here
Ironworkers are open for application
What do Ironworkers do?
- Ironworkers create ornamental finishes.
- Ironworkers read blueprints.
- Ironworkers figure out the best way to tackle the job.
- Ironworkers work as part of a team.
APPLICANTS MUST MEET THE FOLLOWING REQUIREMENTS:
- Must not be less than 18 years of age.
- Must possess sufficient physical fitness in order to perform the duties of the trade.
- Must have a high school diploma or a G.E.D. certificate.
- Must be a U.S. citizen or in the process of naturalization.
- Must complete the required written examination (Region A & B applicants only).
Download: Ironworkers Application
MN Trades Academy
The MN Trades Academy aspires to provide educational and hands-on experiences for current high school youth to earn while they learn about construction as a career choice. Space is limited. Eligible students from Minneapolis, St. Paul and Ramsey County may apply by texting “MTA” to 651.350.0910 and completing an online MTA application (sent by text). Please see attached PDF for more information and application deadlines.
Download: MTA Flyer
Construction Safety Training
Stop in and learn about the Construction Safety Training and 37 other services that Ujamaa Place can offer you.
- Are you looking for employment?
- Do you need stable housing?
- Does your past record limit your options?
- Is your goal to get your GED?
Download: Ujamaa Place Flyer
Contact: Sam Owiredu at 651-502-4647
or Ujamaa Place at 651-528-8006
MnDOT-DEED Re-Construction Training and Placement Program for 2019
The MnDOT-DEED Re-Construction Training and Placement Program (RTP) provides job training opportunities for women and minorities who are underrepresented in the highway construction industry. The Program is offered to prepare qualified candidates for employment affiliated with all MnDOT-associated highway construction projects.
Warehouse Training Logistic Training
Gains the skills and certifications you need in this short program on logistics and lift operation training.
- Warehouse 101 & career workshop
- OSHA 10-hour certification
- Forklift certification (off-site)
- Bobcat certification (off-site)
As you progress through the program, we provide increasing assistance in career services and employment placement.
Space is limited to 20 individuals.
Download: Warehouse Training
Equipment Operator Training – FREE
• Compact excavator certification (off site)
• Toolcat™ utility work machine certification (off site)
• OSHA 10-hour certification
• Computer self-services training
On completion of this course, we provide assistance in career services and
For more information, please contact Stephanie Nick at 612-341-3358
TRADING UP 2.0 TRAINING
High paying jobs are available in the construction and building trades. This free training can give you what you need to launch your career.
Training Courses are offered in the Fall Semester 2018 at Saint Paul College. Space is limited so, apply now at: saintpaul.edu/TradingUp
Download more information: TradingUP Flyer
Maintenance Custodial Training Program
This 375-hour (13 week) course teaches technical and hands-on skills training in tool use, safety, plumbing, carpentry, painting, drywall, circuitry, and heating and air conditioning. Avivo graduates are equipped for jobs in general maintenance, including janitorial positions, and custodial positions.
This course also includes on-the-job training, as well as preparation for Boilers License Exam (Minnesota Department of Labor Special Class Engineer License) and preparation of Certified Pool Operator.
Graduates will acquire knowledge and skills in:
- Safety procedures,
- Electricity and circuitry,
- Heating and air conditioning,
- Restroom and office cleaning,
- Painting and carpentry,
- Carpet and hard floor care techniques, and
- Attain credentials in Special Class Engineers License and Certified Pool Operator.
Free 180 Hour CDL Training
Looking for a new career that offers a competitive wage and benefits?
MnDOT’s sponsored Commercial Driver License (CDL) Program may be right for you!
This is a free 180 hour CDL Training program offers Commercial Driving License (Class B) instruction, along with eligibility for the following services:
- 1-on-1 Job Placement Assistance
- Child Care Assistance
- Transportation Assistance
Info Sessions are held every Wednesday starting Nov. 7th, 2018, through Feb. 6th, 2019, at 10am and 6pm at:
Merrick Community Services
1669 Arcade Street North – Suite 4
Saint Paul, MN 55106
All applicants must attend the Info Sessions prior to enrollment!
For more information, contact Burhan Yousuf at firstname.lastname@example.org
or call 651-771-9339 or 651-219-5450
Download: Training Flyer
FREE Carpentry Training & Job
Placement help with CLUES
Bridge to Carpentry Training:
- August 13 – October 5
- Weeks 1-4; Monday-Friday, 9am-1pm @ CLUES St. Paul (797 E 7th Street, St. Paul)
- Weeks 5-8; Monday-Friday, 9am-1pm @ North Country Carpenters Training Center (740 Olive Street, St. Paul)
- OPEN TO ANYONE with a High School Diploma/GED (from outside are accepted) and 6th grade English reading level.
Registration sessions are every Thursday between 1-3 p.m. in St. Paul. No appointment required, walk-ins welcome. To see locations, please open the Carpentry Flyer below.
Download: Carpentry Flyer 8.18
Construction Roofing Training
Hands on accelerated training program covering basic tool handling skills, detail work knowledge, blue print reading, safety, and opportunity for employment following successful completion of training.
- Location: 4912 France Avenue North, Brooklyn Center
- Tuition: Free! Lunch: Free! Gift cards: for milestone achievements
- Certifications: Forklift
- Eligibility: physically “tough” and able to handle elements year-round
In partnership with Horizon Roofing Company in Brooklyn Center.
High-Wage: High-Demand careers
Are you interested in High-Wage, High-Demand careers? Consider a career in the construction trades. Goodwill-Easter Seals Minnesota is looking for women interested in 12 weeks of hands-on training in Construction that includes job placement assistance:
- Six weeks of classroom and shop training
- Six weeks paid training on construction sites
- Instruction in construction concepts, green building
- practices, tool use, blueprints, math and measuring
- Insulation, drywall, siding, roofing and deconstruction
- OSHA 10 Completion Card
- Lead Abatement Worker Certification
- Earn 36 continuing education units
- Union and construction industry speakers/tours
- Assistance with job placement and follow-up services including help with resumes, applications, interviewing,
job search, retention and promotions
- Support to achieve long-term career goals: Twin Cities
companies hire Goodwill-Easter Seals graduates!
- Hours: Mon – Fri 8:00am – 1:30pm
Where: Goodwill-Easter Seals Minnesota
Construction/Automotive Training Facility
635 Prior Ave. N.
St. Paul, MN 55104
For more information call 651-379-5837
Goodwill-Easter Seals also offers training in Automotive Services, Banking and Finance, Computer Literacy, Contact Center and Medical Office. Call 651-379-5837 for more information.
Free Commercial Driver’s License (CDL)Training
HAP is now offering a short-term (90 hours) training program in Class-B Commercial Driver’s License. Receive permit and behind the wheel training.
People can attend the information session which is hosted every Tuesday from 2pm-4pm at 1075 Arcade St. St. Paul, MN 55106 and Friday from 9:30am-11:30am at 394 University Ave W. St. Paul, MN 55103. They can attend to one information session and it is a walk-in without any appointment.
Download: Free CDL Training
To learn more, please contact:
Custom Job Training Case Manager
1075 Arcade St.
Saint Paul, MN 55106
AmeriCorps is a national service program that addresses challenges in our communities through the dedicated service of its members. Members join to give back to their communities while gaining a foundation of marketable skills for natural resource careers. http://www.conservationcorps.org/americorps-opportunities/
AmeriCorps opportunities for young adults, ages 18-25, include non-residential Field Crews in northern, central and southern Minnesota and central Iowa, which engage young adults in year-round natural resource and emergency response work. Conservation Apprentices serve in Soil and Water Conservation Districts throughout Minnesota where they learn hands-on skills in resource management. Home Energy Squads install energy-saving measures in homes, such as weather-stripping and programmable thermostats. Individual placements serve in nonprofit and government agencies focused on energy, natural resource management and community outreach. Youth Outdoors Leaders and Summer Youth Corps Leaders serve programs that engage teens, ages 15 to 18, in outdoor service-learning: Youth Outdoors and Summer Youth Corps.
Hubbs Center Occupational Preparation Classes (Saint Paul)
Carpentry Preparation: Hands on preparation to enter Pre-Apprenticeship program with building trades. Learn skills in construction safety, OSHA 10 Certification. Develop carpentry skil
ls in wood framing interior and exterior finish, hand and power tool use, carpentry math and reading skills. In addition, receive First Aid/CPR training.
- Hubbs Center FastTRAC Training Programs – Minnesota FastTRAC (Training, Resources, and Credentialing) seeks to make Minnesota more competitive by meeting the common skills needs of businesses and individuals. FastTRAC’s innovative approach helps educationally underprepared adults succeed in well-paying careers by integrating basic skills education and career-specific training in fields where new skills are in high demand. By focusing on high-demand fields, FastTRAC meets the needs of business while ensuring that students find well-paying jobs with room for advancement.
Download: Hubbs Center Occupational Prep Classes
YWCA ST. PAUL
CDL TRAINING PROGRAM
The CDL Training Program puts people on the road to success by helping them to earn a Commercial Driver’s License (CDL). After successfully completing training, participants are qualified for good-paying jobs in construction, highway maintenance, transit and other in-demand industries.
Classes meet Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 12 p.m. at YWCA St. Paul, with license instruction and experiential training at a local trucking school. New sessions begin monthly on a rolling basis, and there is no cost to participants. For more information, including frequently asked questions and eligibility requirements, please visit https://www.ywcaofstpaul.org/youcan.
Women and people of color are encouraged to apply.
Pathways to a Better Life (… a program for Ex-Offenders)
We know you’ve got challenges ahead of you. Let us walk alongside you as you meet each of these challenges on your way to achieving a brand new way of living. Turn this sheet over to see all the ways we can help you, and how you can get started on this exciting path. Download: Pathways to a Better Life Flyer
Schools Offering Construction Education & Training
Below is a short list of construction programs through our State universities and private colleges. To research a full list of this schools, go to Careerwise Education and search specific programs.
- Century College 3300 Century Avenue North White Bear Lake, Minnesota 55110 651.779.3300, 800.228.1978
- Dunwoody 818 Dunwoody Boulevard, Minneapolis, MN 55403 (612) 374-5800
- Hennepin Technical College Carpentry Programs at Eden Prairie and Brooklyn Park campuses.
- HIRED and American Workshop have partnered to offer the Green Construction Trades Course.
- H.H. Humphrey Job Corps Centers 1480 Snelling Avenue North St. Paul, MN 55108 651-642-1133
- Merrick Community Services Merrick Community Center 715 Edgerton St. St. Paul, MN 55130 (651) 771-9339
- Minneapolis Community and Technical College 1501 Hennepin Ave Minneapolis, MN 55403-1710 (612) 659-6200
- Minneapolis Urban League 2100 Plymouth Ave. North Minneapolis, MN 55411 Phone: (612) 302-3100
- Saint Paul College 235 Marshall Avenue Saint Paul, Minnesota 55102 (651) 846-1600
- Summit OIC Summit Academy OIC 935 Olson Memorial Highway Minneapolis, MN 55405-1359 (612) 377-0150