Forge ahead with WSB – named a top workplace for seven consecutive years. WSB was founded on the understanding that culture drives results and we’ve dedicated ourselves to the value of strong relationships, collaboration and forward-thinking ideas. We’ve inspired each other to discover thoughtful and creative solutions that look beyond the needs of today to the opportunities of tomorrow. We invite you to forge ahead with us.
As a heavy equipment operator and/or geotechnical drilling crew chief you will be knowledgeable in a variety of geotechnical drilling techniques such as, mud rotary drilling, solid stem, hollow stem auger and rock coring. You will operate and maintain the drilling rig and related equipment to drill holes for geotechnical/environmental exploration test borings. Work for this position is generally performed outdoors, is physically demanding, requires travel and may include work on weekends.
What You Will Do:
Prepare/mobilize equipment needed for each days project
• Operate the drilling rig and transport vehicle
• Able to perform variety of drilling methods and to install geotechnical instrumentation, monitoring wells and piezometers
• Maintenance/cleaning of equipment, drill rig, support vehicle and other related equipment
• Maintain proper paperwork/record keeping to comply with DOT requirements
• Monitor drilling production as related to project budgets
• Able to train assistant equipment operator
• Prepare sample jars and collect and handle soil samples during drilling
• Assist with borehole backfilling/sealing per MDH Borehole/Well Sealing Procedures
• Neatly and accurately complete all required paperwork, including daily reports, driller’s logs and timesheets
• Meet with utility contractors for site clearing before drilling
• Assist with layout, staking and surveying boring locations
• Adhere to Natl. Drilling Assoc. Drilling Safety Guidelines and promote a safe working environment
• Other duties as assigned
What You Will Bring:
Experience as a heavy equipment operator and/or geotechnical drilling crew chief (two years preferred)
• Possess a valid Class A CDL (or the ability to obtain a Class A CDL license within six months) and have a good driving record
• Ability to frequently lift and carry up to 50 pounds and occasionally up to 100 pounds
• Pass a pre-employment drug screen and random testing.
• Ability to work extended hours outdoors in a variety of weather and site conditions
• Available to travel to out of town project sites (occasional overnight stays)
• Good mechanical aptitude
• Have a positive can do attitude
• Dependable and trustworthy
• Ability to work in team environment as well as independently
• Good written and oral communication skills with internal and external clients
• High School Diploma or GED
Our preferred candidate would also have 40 hour Hazmat training.
Who We Are:
WSB is a design and consulting firm specializing in engineering, community planning, environmental, and construction services. We provide solutions for the places, spaces and systems that support our lives. We offer services in more than 25 complementary areas across the nation.
Equal Opportunity Employer, including disabled and veterans.